Kentucky Association of Teachers of History
M.I.King Library, University of Kentucky
November 11, 2011; 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Refreshments courtesy of the UK History Department
Jake Gibbs (BCTC), Melanie Beal Goan (UK), Rebecca Hanly (KHS), Phil Harling (UK), George Herring (UK emeritus), Kate Hesseldenz (UK), Gordon Hogg (UK), Randolph Hollingsworth (UK), Jim Klotter (Georgetown), Lorie Maltby (Henderson CC), Karen Petrone (UK), Sarah-Jane Poindexter (Filson), Gary Powell (BCTC), Vanessa de los Reyes (Gateway CTC), Rick Smoot (BCTC), Paul Tenkotte (NKU), Anita Sanford Tolson (FCPS emeritus), Kitty Stephens (FCPS emeritus/BCTC)
There are many reasons for why the KATH Board was unable to organize the call for student papers and a conference for Fall 2011. There are no KATH members and no leadership of the Board currently since the 2010 meeting did not elect a full slate, the 2011 President has served his one year term and the 2011 President-Elect resigned (with no new slate of officers and no Board leadership in place). The group surmised there may be too many people on the Board overall and much of the work is taken on by the President; so it is easier to avoid taking a leadership role when the need arises. Another idea posed was that there was a lack of regular communications from the Board; KATH Newsletters (print, via postal mail) in the past kept the membership informed and helped keep attention on this small statewide conference despite so many other competing interests. The KATH website is down.
The group decided on three main actions to take:
- A call for membership dues and donations will be mailed this winter (including an explanation of the need for a paid part-time employee to organize KATH business)
- A small group would get together to plan a conference for Fall 2012 – starting in December
- A small group would gather to identify what a part-time KATH officer would need to do (tasks and the number of hours required) to keep KATH business, including the website, going for an academic year
TASKS RELATED TO THE ABOVE ACTIONS:
- Each group member will look in their KATH papers to find names/addresses, try to ascertain if the information is still correct and send updated information to Randolph (email@example.com); Jim will send to Randolph an example of a call for donations and she will draft up something for the whole group to review
- Randolph will use a Doodle calendar again to convene a meeting of the past KATH Board members and any others who may wish to attend to plan a conference for Fall 2012 in central Kentucky
- Jake, Kate, Melanie, Randolph, Anita [others?] will get together to identify tasks/hours/pay for KATH part-time employee (e.g., Chief Operating Officer?) and report back to the group