The 37th Annual Meeting of KATH was a great success: nearly 60 attendees of postsecondary faculty, secondary educators, public historians, and students. Exhibits included representatives from the University Press of Kentucky, the United States Daughters of 1812 – Kentucky Chapter, the Filson Historical Society, the Kentucky Historical Society, and the Campbellsville University’s Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society.
As part of a surprise organized by the U.K. History Department and the former presidents of the Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations, State Representative Steve Riggs presented a legislative citation to our keynoter, Dr. George Herring, Professor Emeritus of the University of Kentucky.
Lunch included the incomparable performance of a Kentucky militiaman in 1812 by the talented teenager, Harry Smith under the auspices of the Kentucky Humanities Council.
The Phi Alpha Theta students from Campbellsville University will serve as guest bloggers for KATH (which will be re-posted to the H-Kentucky listserv) and give a summary of the wonderful keynote and discussion sessions.
The business meeting garnered a positive vote by acclamation for the KATH Constitution 2006 (proposed revisions 2012) which added standing committees to help organize the annual meeting, an Executive Committee 2012-13 (see below) and the presentation of three KATH student writing award certificates.
Congratulations to our new KATH leadership for 2012-13!
Executive Committee, 2012-13
- President – Allison Hunt, duPont Manual HS
- President-elect – Pattie Dillon, Spalding U
- Past-President – none due to no President in 2011-12
- Community College – Angela Ash, Owensboro CTC
- Private/Indep – Wendy Davis, Campbellsville U
- Public historian – Cheryl Caskey, KHS
- Librarian/archivist – Sara Price, UK
- K-12 representatives – Crystal Culp (McCracken Regional Juvenile Detention Facility, McCracken County Schools), Chris Snow (Henry Clay, Fayette County Public Schools)
- Public/comprehensive – not filled
- Research university – not filled
- At large – Jake Gibbs, Bluegrass CTC
Additional appointments to serve as members of the KATH Board
- Secretary – Lori Maltby, Henderson CC
- Treasurer – Alana Cain Scott, Morehead State U
- Webmaster – Randolph Hollingsworth, UK
- Newsletter Editor – not filled
See more on the KATH 2012 annual meeting, including pictures, at https://kath-online.org/annual-meeting/2012-kath-meeting.